Duty, Drudgery or Delight Written by Karen
I. What is the purpose of having devotions?
Devotions are for the purpose of showing your devotion and love to God, and getting to know who God is intimately. He´s sharing His heart with me. It´s not a duty...it´s a Relationship! Picture yourself standing before the judgment seat explaining why you didn´t...
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. Matthew 22:37,38
Devotions are for the purpose of finding out how God wants us to live, so we can obey and grow. Our Bible is the How To´ Book.
II. What are some of the struggles of daily devotions? Children, fatigue, company, getting too busy, on going sin, guilt...etc.
III. Why is it hard to be faithful and consistent? 1. God says it´s hard work!
Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.. Prov. 2:3-6
Do you see the verbs ..cry after, seek, search? Anything worth doing is hard!
We´re not committed. We´re too busy. Make the decision: ..(This will be a priority!)
Satan doesn´t want us in God´s Word
IV. What´s in God´s Word for you?
The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward. Psalm 19:7-11
1. We see .how to turn from sin. The law of the LORD is perfect ... Perfect means flawless God´s Word changes people .converting the soul. It shows the lost their sin, and it shows the saved their sin. This is why it´s so hard and Satan fights so hard!
2. How to be a wise woman and to live a godly life and have a great marriage the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple We can be wise if we´re humble, honest about sin and teachable!
3. How to have joy and encouragement in life. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart
4. How to solve our problems: The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. (Pure clean, not defiled by error) God´s Word had answers to our problems. (Temptations, envy, lust, pride, conflicts) He wants to light our way (Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path)
5. How To Know and Trust Our God The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever (clean ~ pure; enduring ~ ever the same)
We need to know the character of our God...the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits Daniel 11:32 Look for God and His Son in EVERY LINE
6. The Result of Being In God´s Word: (prudent wife forseeth the evil and hideth)
Moreover by them is thy servant warned...warned of the devises of the devil and the dangers that face us if we choose our own way.
And in keeping them there is great reward! Reward verses: Prov. 3:1-4, 13-18; 4:4-6, 20-22; 6:20-23; 8:32-36; Psalm 119:1,2, 165; 128:1-2; Matthew 6:6; Hebrews 11:6
V. How do I go about having meaningful devotions?
Make a habit .Commit to it. It will be a lifelong struggle, anything you want to perfect you must do daily! Don´t get discouraged and give up ..Proverbs 24:16 says that a just man falleth ...AND getteth back up! James 4:8 says Draw nigh to God .´ You can be as close to God as you want to be!
Ideas for Devotions:
Have a set time and place
Read Proverbs The book of Proverbs has 31 chapters: one for each day of the month It is a book full of wisdom for living a godly life on a daily basis Find a principle that applies to your life and write it in a notebook and meditate on it
Do a word study on an area of needed growth in your life Choose a word that you want to study (example: joy, trust, complaining, serving...etc) and write down the verses that mean something to you. Also record your thoughts on the subject or things you learn as church from others.
Make a lifelong notebook on the character of God Remember Satan´s goal is to make us doubt the character of God, especially when going through trials!
Study the life of Jesus in relation to how you can be more like Christ How did Jesus spend His time? How did Jesus treat others? How was He an example of a servant? How did Jesus develop His relationship with His Father? What did Jesus teach that He wants me to do in my life?
Our goal is to be Christ like!
Read thru the Bible
Study issues that are pertinent in your life Know how to lead someone to Christ How to raise your children Biblically What is the role of a godly wife? Problem areas: anger, depression, contentment, bitterness, worry, fear, guilt. Etc.
Make it meet your needs...you can apply it and live it!